Sea

Sea

Thursday, July 29, 2010

So Far, Holding Up

How are you today, family? That's good to hear. How am I? Well, I was just about to tell you...
I spent today at the pool. I did pretty predictable, pooly things: threw a ball around, splashed, played underwater tag, and suntanned while reading The Great Gatsby. I also had possibly the best pizza I've ever tasted at a little restaurant stand thing by the pool. I used to have this perception of people who advocated fresh, locally grown food; I thought of them as pampered and prententious. Obviously I agreed that it was healthier, both for people and the environment, to eat locally blah blah blah, but I always regarded it as something rich people unfairly expected us regular people to do. Why should we pay more at the grocery store for fresh, locally grown food or worry about whether or not our food was processed when we had so much other stuff on our minds?
But as I continue to taste the local burgers, pizza and the like - normal foods that I can find in my hometown - and taste the difference, I realize how much difference fresh, non-processed food can make.
But I digress.
When I came home I rested for a while, then went running. This is the third day in a row I've gone running, and already it's gotten a little easier. I've gotten back into the rhythm of regular exercise. The only problem is that the people I'm obliged to drag along to supervise me won't take me for much longer than a half an hour, which is barely a workout. Hopefully I'll be able to go for a lot longer tomorrow.
I also made the very frustrating discovery that the only scale in this house is unreliable, inexplicably adding 6 pounds to your weight between morning and evening. I'm just going to have to stick to eating healthy and not very much and running every day, and weigh in when I come back home. It's a little nerve-racking, but there you have it. That's how it's gotta be done. Either way, I'm proud of myself; so far, I'm holding up to my new reinvention.

No comments:

Post a Comment